Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day Two

Well, it was a day of excursions!

First we went by bus (15 passenger university van) to El Yunque National Rain Forest.



El Yunque literally means The Anvil. This is because the mountains are flat on top and looked like an anvil to the Spaniards.

The mountains looked hazy from below because it frequently rains. And by rains I mean pours.

We had a long drive up the narrow mountain road and then a good hike down into the rain forest valley.

It is all managed by the US National Forest (Department of Agriculture).



The path was paved and had many bilingual signs explaining about the rain forest.

The Yunque is famous for the coqui, a very little but loud tree frog. We didn't see them, but we heard them.



We also saw many species of plants that came from other parts of the world such as bright pink impatiens.



The Big Tree Trail ran along a ridge down to a waterfall. We didn't manage to make it down there, however we did stop at the side of the road to see a different waterfall.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I am back in El Yunque....so peaceful. I love hearing the coqui.( Why was I in that shot!? My shorts clashed with the flora!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do I suddenly feel the need to go tinkle?

    ReplyDelete