I am getting very sleepy and will need to be up to visit public schools, but I had some thoughts I need to record before I forget.
I wanted to mention how this school is a private Catholic University. It is over 100 years old and has a chapel, statues, grottos, etc. Our coordinator even prayed for us on our bus before our excursions on Monday and Tuesday. It was in Spanish, but I understood it. She thanked God for the weather and opportunity of the day and asked for his blessing and protection. She ended in Jesus's name. It was refreshing after teaching in a public school to see that freedom of religion.
The Catholic religion of course came from Spain. The African slaves came with their beliefs of animism (everything having a spirit such as trees and rocks) and often incorporated it into the Catholic faith. The Taino Indians did so as well with their beliefs. But we also learned that the protestant religions had come after Puerto Rico became a territory of the US. The island was somewhat divided into four quarters of Anglican, Mennonite, Methodist and Lutheran churches. Now there are many other churches, too.
Well, that's all for now. I'm off to snooze!
Que Dios Bendiga!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I pray that your trip is enriching, safe, and enjoyable.
ReplyDelete